Practice Policies

Travelling Abroad

By law, the NHS ceases to have responsibility for the medical care of patients when they leave the UK. In addition, GP's are not required by their terms of service to provide prescriptions for the treatment of a condition that is not present and may arise while out of the country. 

Consequently, the clinicians at Jedburgh Medical Practice are unable to treat or advise patients who become unwell while travelling abroad.

They advise that if you become unwell or have an accident/injury while travelling abroad to contact a local medical practitioner who will be able to assist you.

People travelling within Europe are advised to carry an authorised European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) at all times and this gives entitlement to reduced cost (and sometimes free) medical treatmment.  Patients should be advised to check specific entitlements prior to travel.

Before you travel please visit to find out more essential information which can help if you take unwell while travelling.